Inside: This easy Taco Soup recipe with ground beef, canned beans and tomatoes, and taco and ranch seasoning packets. This hearty soup version of tacos is full of flavor and a great change from the same old Taco Tuesday! Cook this one-pot meal on the stove top or in the Crock Pot or Instant Pot.
Don’t you love an easy recipe for a quick meal that always gets raves from the whole family?
And the hardest part is opening six cans?
Taco soup is one of the absolute easiest and tastiest soups you will make!
If you’ve never tried this soup in your household, I guarantee it will become a regular in your busy night recipe arsenal.
Because one, your family will love it. This hearty version of tacos is so full of flavor, so filling, and is a great change from the same old Taco Tuesday.
Two, you will love it because it is ridiculously easy. You literally just dump all of the ingredients in a pot with browned beef and onions and let it cook!
The simple ingredients for taco soup.
- 1 Pound of Ground Beef
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 3 Cans of Tri-Color Beans or 1 Can each of Kidney Beans, Pinto Beans, and Black Beans
- 1 Can Rotel Tomatoes (with your preferred spice level)
- 2 Cans Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Taco Seasoning Mix Packet
- 1 Ranch Seasoning Packet
This post contains Amazon and other affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission, at no extra charge to you. I only recommend products that I love or would purchase for myself. See my full disclosure here.
Step 2: Dump the cans of beans and tomatoes into the pot, liquid and all. Add the taco seasoning and ranch packets.
Step 3: Stir it all up and let the soup simmer for about an hour. That’s it!
This easy soup recipe also makes minimal mess since you cook it all in one big pot so clean up is quick too!
Optional ingredients for taco soup.
- Corn. Many people add corn to taco soup. It does make it more colorful but my family prefers it without. If you do use canned corn, drain the liquid off of only this canned ingredient.
- Sliced black olives
- Green chiles
What do you serve with taco soup?
- Top it with any of your favorite taco toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, green onion, a dollop of sour cream, a slice of avocado, tortilla strips, salsa, pico de gallo, jalapenos, and even a lime wedge.
- Serve it with a side of corn or tortilla chips to dip with or mix in.
- Spoon it over some cornbread.
Mexican Themed Recipes
Can I make this taco soup without the ground beef?
Yes! Substitute another meat like shredded chicken for the beef. Or leave out the ground beef and add an extra can of beans to make this a vegetarian taco soup recipe.
Can I make this taco soup in the Crock Pot or Instant Pot?
Yes, but my favorite way is on the stovetop because it’s so quick and easy.
Taco soup in the Crock Pot.
Brown beef and onions together in a large skillet and drain the excess grease. Add it and the rest of the ingredients to a slow cooker, stir, and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Taco soup in the Instant Pot.
Brown the beef and onions together on saute mode then drain the excess grease. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, stir and cover. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes and then do a quick release.
Easy Soup Recipes
How do you thicken taco soup?
With this recipe, it makes the perfect thick soup just from the canned liquid and the cooking, without adding any broth or water.
But if you’d like to have a less thick, more brothy soup, add some chicken broth or water. Then to thicken, make a slurry of a tablespoon of cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of cold water. Stir it into the soup and cook until the desired thickness is reached.
How do you store and reheat taco soup?
Storage: Store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge.
Reheat: Reheat on the cooktop or in the microwave – you may need to add a little splash of chicken broth or water.
Freeze: Freeze in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 6 months.
I’m all about dump and dash recipes. I hope you enjoy this one as much as my family does. If you’ve got a favorite dump dish, help us all out and share it in the comments!
Before you go:
As always, I appreciate your visit, comments, and shares here on the blog! I’d love it if you also follow along with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook so you won’t miss any of my inspiration and ideas.
Don’t forget to sign up for updates to keep in touch.
If you’re not already a member of the SH&H family, I’d love to have you join me! You’ll not only get email updates, but you’ll have exclusive access to all the bonus materials in my free subscriber-only library, like this:
Pin it to remember it!
If you’ve enjoyed this post, please pin and share this on Pinterest:
Quick + Easy Taco Soup with Ranch Dressing – Dump & Go!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 (15 oz.) cans tri beans OR 1 can each of kidney, pinto, and black beans
- 1 (10 oz.) can rotel tomatoes
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning
- 1 (1 oz.) package ranch salad dressing mix
- Brown the ground beef and onions in a large dutch oven.
- Drain the excess fat.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, (liquid from cans included) taco seasoning, and ranch dressing mix and simmer on the cooktop over low heat for about an hour. See additional instructions above for cooking in a crockpot or Instant Pot.
- Serving options: Ladel over tortilla or corn chips in a bowl. Top with green onions, sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado slices, and/or a lime wedge.
This recipe is part the “Budget Friendly Recipes” blog hop hosted by Marty at A Stroll Thru Life. Make sure and check out all of the delicious recipes my blog friends are cooking up.